Sunday, April 25, 2010

Working My Way Through the Stack

I read quite quickly and have had a blessed abundance of spare time recently, which means I've already finished Living Lies by Kate Mathis. The author described her book as 'beach reading,' and I have to agree. The book's self-publishing cred was obvious when I ran across phrases like "a lethal dose of heroine," and the plot got a little shaky at times. Generally, the action revolves around our main character Melanie Ward, a supersecret superspy for the U.S. Government, who also has problems getting a date. Sort of like Tom Clancy + romance. It was good brain candy up until about the last chapter, in which what might have been a brilliant twist rather loses steam after a few applications of Fridge Logic.

That being said, I also thought Storm Front a weak first novel, and Butcher has definitely upped his game since then. So I think I'll pick up Ms. Mathis' sequel, due to be out this summer.

I have moved on to Night Shift, by Lilith Saintcrow. I've seen her books in stores frequently, but have just never picked up a copy. The plot appears to be largely what I'm also attempting - a female protagonist fights things that go bump in the night. And, as one might expect, I have to say I'm quite enjoying this!

I've found one of the challenges with writing urban fantasy is adhering to established folklore and yet still leaving one's own creative mark. I'm on page 76, and Ms. Saintcrow has already come through by giving me little details about her Were. Most authors who take on changing breeds establish that their werecritters mate for life and operate with a pack mentality when it comes to leadership. Which is certainly true in this universe, but her Were also are quite domestic and prefer to discuss important matters over a shared meal. That, and she uses the word 'levinbolt.'

I suspect I shall soon be buying her sequels.

I also got my first fan mail today! Well, okay, it was a gentleman asking how to buy a copy of A Game of Tears (answer: John is working on getting the website set up, until then you can read most of the book itself at Houses of the Blooded Blog, tag 'game of tears.') Still! Someone wants to read my stuff! I'll take that and run with it! So, thanks, Jakub!

No comments:

Post a Comment